STEPHEN M. URQUHART
ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT & STRATEGY LEADER
Creative, innovative, results-oriented organizational development leader with 15+ years of experience in talent development, project management, and culture change through interventions, training and development.
- Strategic systems thinker with the ability to quickly identify breakdowns in business processes and communications, and develop targeted and effective techno-structural and human process interventions.
- Developed interventions for diverse, technical teams to improve processes, cooperation and collaboration with other business units, improving global employee engagement survey scores by as much as 20%.
- Led complex corporate communication initiatives, including key message strategy, internal marketing, change management, employee engagement and policy communications at all levels of the organization.
- Qualified practitioner in Six Sigma and Lean problem-solving and analysis; successfully completed a Green Belt project to save $500,000 in costs; and certified in Quality Action Teams (Kaizen) and Voice of the Customer.
- Certified to facilitate, administer and interpret Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) and Everything DiSC instruments.
RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
T21 SOLUTIONS, LLC – Founder and Consulting Practice Leader (2010 – Present)
- Conducted workplace expectations and team effectiveness assessments, including collection of data, interpretation and recommendations to company executives.
- Created and launched assessment and training initiative for transitioning military veterans, including strengths inventory and career matching for on-the-job training assignments.
- Designed scope of work and job descriptions for technical support staff and client services using ACT WorkKeys assessments and job analysis findings.
- Consulted with a number of firms and organizations to determine training needs based on business objectives, gap analysis and voice of the customer feedback.
- Developed and implemented in-person and online training courses through analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation (ADDIE) methods.
- Worked on national testing projects with Cisco /WebEx to evaluate and field-test social learning and virtual collaboration technologies, including the Cisco Learning Network and Smart Connected Communities.
STATE OF FLORIDA – Public Policy Executive (2005 – 2010)
Senior Adviser/Performance, Programs & Policy – Workforce Florida (2008 – 2010)
- Conducted organizational audits and assessments, and advised board members on aspects of organization structure, governance and line-of-sight objectives for performance improvement.
- Managed contract and curriculum definition for Florida’s Workforce Training Institute and learning management system (LMS) for the professional development of over 800 professionals statewide.
- Designed concepts for e-learning and training curriculum for Employ Florida system users statewide, including superusers, workforce customers and employers.
- Developed and adapted content for in-person and online training for board members, stakeholders and education partners, and consulted with regional board leadership on the Carver Model and governance-related issues.
- Developed and implemented balanced scorecard measurement system and performance metrics for state and local workforce investment effectiveness, and for tracking of return on investment (ROI) on over $300 million in workforce funding.
Director, Organizational Excellence – Enterprise Florida (2005 – 2008)
- Guided transition to outsourced human resources services and developed and implemented assessment, training and performance management programs for all staff levels, resulting in a cost savings of over $200,000 and a 50% increase in the organization’s return on investment (ROI) in an Ernst & Young study.
- Conducted extensive job analysis and organizational design/redesign as part of a broader professional services change project, and a leadership team emphasis on “Good to Great.”
- Created and managed corporate and partner talent database, identifying critical skills and competencies required for roles throughout the state economic development community.
- Designed and implemented assessment tools for management development, leadership selection, and interpersonal/team effectiveness.
- Implemented Leadership Architect/Leadership Engine and related Lominger assessment tools (e.g., VOICES 360, FYI) for improvement of executive and management functional roles.
- Developed and implemented management training program for all supervisors and executives, with an emphasis on improved cooperation and contribution to business results.
SIEMENS AG – Organizational Communications and Human Resources Strategy (2001 – 2005)
Manager, Employee & Leadership Communications – Siemens Power Generation, Inc. (2004 – 2005)
- Developed award-winning culture change program and communication for corporate-wide global implementation, focused on quality and continuous improvement and over $30 million in cost avoidance.
- Selected as a high-potential manager and participated in Siemens emerging leaders program for global communicators (S.P.E.A.C.) and corporate strategy task forces for knowledge management and megatrends.
Senior Administrator, Human Resources – Siemens Westinghouse Power Corporation (2001 – 2003)
- Managed global employee engagement survey, including organizational assessment, interpretation of results and key areas for improvement, and management coaching.
- Developed and led succession planning and strategic assignment sessions with global human resources management team, including identification and development of high-potential candidates.
- Designed and implemented human resource and related interventions in support of global human resource strategy, post-merger integration and business unit goals.
- Led benchmarking team to evaluate human resources and corporate central function/shared services best practices at comparable global enterprises and determine most efficient business processes.
UNITED STATES ARMY (1989 – 1997 Active Duty, 1997 – 2003 US Army Reserve)
- Managed Staff Judge Advocate (Army legal services) office and operations for US Army Reserve’s largest transportation and sustainment command, supervising an 8-person team and managing pre-mobilization, status of forces, rules of engagement and court reporting/administrative hearing processes.
- Facilitated sensing sessions at multiple sites in response to operation tempo and command climate survey feedback, and developed strategy and non-commissioned officer development to improve subsequent survey scores by over 20%.
Master of Arts, Human Resources Development, Webster University – 2011 (4.0 GPA)
Certificate, Human Resource Management, Rollins College Management & Executive Education – 2009
Bachelor of Arts, Organizational Communication, Rollins College – 2001 (3.9 GPA)
Certificate, Process Management & Using the Balanced Scorecard, University of Florida – 2000